NOTE: IF YOU CLICK RENT NOW AND NO UNITS SHOW, PLEASE CALL 254-771-3838 FOR UP TO THE MINUTE AVAILABILITY.
Temple had its beginning as a railroad town. On June 29, 1881, Temple Junction was created as the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway pushed north from Galveston. On this day, trains brought prospective buyers in for an auction of town lots - 157 business lots and 28 residential lots were sold... and the rest, as they say, is history. The new settlement was named in honor of Bernard Moore Temple, the Santa Fe's chief engineer; however, he would never live in the town that bore his name. The railroad lured a diverse population including doctors, lawyers and merchants. The city was incorporated in 1882, and by 1884 its 3,000 residents were served by three churches and a school, as well as two banks, two weekly newspapers, an opera house, and a waterworks, among others. Today, the city is one of the leading medical centers in the Southwest, thanks to Scott & White Hospital and Clinic (1897), and the Olin E. Teague Veterans center (1943) and the addition of McLane's Children's Scott and White (2011) on the previous site of King's Daughters Hospital. Temple has grown steadily because of its diverse economy - agriculture, transportation, manufacturing and medicine. It continues to shine as one of Texas' brightest stars with a population of over 72,000 in 2016.